Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

We have answered below the most frequent questions that we receive, however, if you would like to know more or have a question please do not hesitate to contact us.

We have covered the following areas

  • About Leasehold Management Services
  • General Leasehold
  • Terms of the Lease
  • Neighbourly Matters
  • General Questions

About Leasehold Management Services

Is my money safe with you?

Yes, unlike other Managing Agents we encourage clients to maintain their own bank account rather than relying on Client Accounts. This means that you have full control over your funds, all we need, is to be added as signatories to the account and given online access. YOU set an expenditure limit, which means we can only authorise any payments up to a specified value.

If you don’t want your own bank account, for whatever reason, we can instigate a named client account. We will use this named account to pay for work that is carried out on your estate, so you can be reassured that your money is not being placed in an umbrella account
You can come in and access and view your records at any time. LMS pride themselves on having an open-door policy, if you have any problems, just get in touch.

What are your opening hours?

Our offices in High Wycombe are open Monday-Friday 9am – 5pm. You can always contact us by phone or email. If you send your message out of these hours, then we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible. We also maintain a 24hr, 7 days a week emergency number.
In the event of an emergency, please call the main office number (01494 464 333) the answer phone will provide an emergency number for the on-call property manager.

Will you manage my block?

Leasehold Management Services believe in excelling in service and communication, and so we will always promise that we will provide effective communication to you. Therefore, we focus on the smaller, more localised estates, with a diverse mixture of old and new properties. LMS will arrange an assessment of your property, and will then evaluate the situation and propose the best possible solutions for you. Get in contact to arrange your meeting today.

Does my service charge money go to you?

No, LMS charge a flat rate depending on the size of the property, and also which package option you opt for. The service charge is used for the maintenance and upkeep on the property.

Who is my managing company?

Leasehold Management Services are the managing agent, and we work on behalf of the managing company of your block. You will be part of the managing company if you have purchased a property. Being part of this management company will mean that you will have to comply with legislation, but as your block management agent, LMS will help you to do this in order to ensure the smooth running of your estate.

How do I make a complaint?

If you are not happy with any part of your package or service that you have received from LMS, then please do not hesitate to get in contact, we will do our utmost to rectify the situation as quickly as possible.

General Leasehold

What is a lease?

Your lease is the contract that you signed when you purchased your flat. This will list your rights, as well as what you can and cannot do. Here, you will find all of the details about your block/estate management company, and any formalities or agreements that you need to be aware of.

What is the difference between ground-rent and service charge?

Your ground-rent is payable to your landlord as agreed in your lease, and will vary with different contracts. The service charge are the payments which all leaseholders pay in order to maintain the upkeep of the building. This includes general maintenance, services and repairs, for example, gardening of communal areas, provision of central heating and lift maintenance. The service charge is what allows us to keep your block of flats in impeccable condition, whilst keeping problems to a minimum.

Do I need to have buildings insurance?

No, your management company will take care of the buildings insurance in accordance with the terms of the lease, but you should have your own contents insurance. If you are letting your flat to others, then having Landlords insurance is highly advised.

I’d like to become a director of my management company, how do I go about this?

Being a director of your management company will allow you to oversee the running of the company and be able to communicate with the homeowners in the buildings and liaise/instruct Leasehold Management Services. To become a director, you should attend the Annual General Meeting and volunteer. Alternatively, speak to us and we can point you in the right direction.

Terms of the Lease

How much can I change in my flat?

Your lease will clarify what you can change and amend in your flat, and will also list out any regulations and policies regarding pets, sub-letting and contact details. If you need more guidance on any queries, then just get in touch.

Can I lease my property to someone else?

Yes, you are able to do this, just check through your lease for any regulations or restrictions that might be in place. Your management company will always have the best interests of the other tenants at heart, so any sub-letting will need to follow this protocol.

Are pets allowed to be kept in my flat?

The majority of the time, pets are forbidden in housing developments, but there may be some leeway within your lease. Check with your landlord, or if you are enquiring about keeping a pet in unique circumstances, come to LMS for some advice. If you’re wanting to have a few fish, then you’re probably safe.

Neighbourly Issues

Noisy Neighbours!!

Trying to resolve the issue by talking to your neighbour might be appropriate, they might not be aware that their actions are causing you concern. If this doesn’t help the situation, then speaking to your management company to raise awareness of the issue might help.
In order for a management company to take action against a noisy neighbour you will need to contact the local Environmental Health Officer in order to obtain an Enforcement Order, without this there is little your management company can do to enforce the terms of the lease

What is the best way to deal with Anti-Social behaviour?

Having anti-social behaviour on your door step is never a nice situation to deal with. If you can, approach the person or group and try to resolve the situation without involving legalities. It might be that they do not realise that their behaviour is causing problems. However, LMS understand that this can be a hard step to take, so we can help and provide advice for you in order to get help to resolve the situation. We deal with all cases confidentially and with care.


Can I get in contact with the Director of the Management Company?

Since this is a voluntary role, LMS are prohibited from passing on any contact details without seeking permission. But, that is what LMS are here for, to manage the majority of the work of running a block. Therefore, we would advise you to get in contact with us, and we’ll be able to help accordingly. We can always contact and speak to the Management Company directors on your behalf if needs be

I think my property has damp, what can I do?

It is a common misconception that a flat is damp when in fact the problem is most likely condensation – a life style issue.
Condensation and damp can cause a multitude of problems, and it is important to recognise the signs and take any action that is required. Basic advice would be to increase ventilation and insulation, and maintain a consistent temperature. If the problem still persists, get in touch with us.

Can you explain the Section 20 Consultation?

The Section 20 consultation provides protection and security for the leaseholders. It prevents landlords from requesting more money for the service charge than originally agreed. If this needs to be done, then your landlord must follow certain procedures in order to progress with the extra charges.